Being a house mom, everyday of your life will not going to be easy as everyone thinks. There will be some point that you will just think of giving up. But you’re a mom, you can’t really quit. Problems will always be there along the way. But conflict is a normal part of any healthy family relationship. After all, the key is not to avoid conflict but learn how to resolve it in a healthy way. When conflict is mismanaged, it can cause great harm to relationship at home. But if you handled it in a peaceful and positive way, conflict provides an opportunity to strengthen the bond between the family members.
To successfully resolve a conflict, you need to learn and practice some core skills:
- Quick stress relief. Being able to manage and relief stress in the moment is the key to staying balanced, focused, and in control no matter what challenges you face. If you don’t know how to control yourself, you will be overwhelmed and you can’t respond to conflict in a healthy way.
- Be emotionally aware. If you want to understand yourself and as well your family member, learn how to be emotionally aware. If you don’t know the reason of what you are feeling, you won’t be able to communicate effectively and you can’t resolve disagreements.
Although some of us could say that knowing your own feelings may sound simple, many people will ignore or try to sedate emotions like fear, sadness, and anger.
Emotional awareness can also help you to:
- Understand yourself
- Understand what is really causing other people to argue with you.
- Interest and influence others
- Stay motivated until the conflict is resolved.
- Communicate clearly
In handling conflicts, it is essential to know your limitations. If you reach a point in where you don’t feel confident that your intervention is going to help, then it’s fine to step back for a while and ask for some help. Sometimes, you might need to involve someone else, such as trained mediator, but make sure that you will not ask for help of those people that you think will just make the problem worst.
Everybody knows that it’s not easy to manage conflicts not just with your husband, but also with your children. If you learn how to practice the core skills that are listed above, then you will be more proud and confident on being a house mom.